When I was pregnant with Gordon, one of my worries was whether I’d be able to breastfeed him. As beautiful and natural a thing it is, it comes with its own obstacles and setbacks – but let’s leave that for another blog post. Today, I’d like to share with you something that you could cherish long after your breastfeeding journey has ended – breastmilk jewelry from Keepsake by Ryo!
I’m an exclusively pumping mummy since Day 1, and Gordon has been on full breastmilk (ie. no formula) for 6 months and counting! He’s 8 months old now so he takes solids as well, but breastmilk is still the main source of nutrients until he’s a year old.
Breastmilk keepsakes/jewelry are not something new, they’ve been around for quite a while – but they usually don’t come cheap due to the amount of craftsmanship and equipment needed to make them.
Without further ado, let me show you my beautiful breastmilk jewelry from Keepsake by Ryo!
You may not see this exact piece on their website as I requested for it to be customized slightly, it’s actually the Family of Hearts Glass Locket from Keepsake by Ryo. The actual one comes with 3 hearts (mummy, daddy and baby) filled with breastmilk, but I requested for mine to be made with 2 hearts (mummy’s filled with breastmilk and baby’s filled with umbilical cord) as I’m a single mother and wanted it to be meaningful.
Are you interested to order a keepsake/jewelry for yourself? Here’s an overview of the ordering process!
1) Add the item of your choice into the shopping cart and follow the steps to checkout.
2) You’ll receive a confirmation e-mail once the order has been submitted. Do double check your billing and shipping details, and take note of the instructions on how to pack and mail your inclusions!
3) Pack your inclusions as per the instructions given. My order included breastmilk (for my heart) and Gordon’s umbilical cord (for his heart) so I’ve done a sample of how you should pack them! I’d recommend using double-seal milk storage bags just to be sure, and to make sure you label them clearly – I use Avent ones because they have more space to write details than most other milk storage bags.
4) Go to the post office to mail it out! As your parcel would most likely contain liquid (breastmilk), I’d recommend using a bubble envelope and posting it via registered postage so that you can be assured that there are sufficient stamps AND that they will reach Ryo safely. Here’s a sample of the format that you should write on the parcel – if you’re unable to fit your details on the front, you can state your name and order number at the top left (as shown below) and your address at the back (which would be a good practice in case it gets returned back to you during a failed delivery).
5) A notification e-mail would be sent to you upon receiving your inclusions. Once again, just make sure to check your shipping address and the notes stated in the e-mail! NOTE: It may take 2-14 weeks before your order is completed. This is because each item is handcrafted and it depends on a variety of factors (eg. holiday season, hardware stock, complexity of order etc).
6) Another e-mail would be sent to you when your order has been shipped. All you have to do now is to sit back, relax and wait for your beautiful item to arrive!
7) Your order has arrived! I received my order on May 19, approximately 6 weeks after Ryo has received my inclusions – and the results were beautiful.
The locket came in a “Keepsake by Ryo” box with:
A pack of Silica Gel
It is recommended that you keep it away from perspiration, perfumes and UV rays and store it in its original box with silica gel when not in use. Clean it regularly with the jeweler's cloth provided as they are handcrafted with fine precious metals! NOTE: The one-year warranty only covers the discoloration of breastmilk components.
What are you waiting for? Visit Keepsake by Ryo to order your own keepsake jewelry today!